Saturday, April 21, 2012

Classic Cars & The World's Best Dessert

My favorite Girl Scouts cookie, hands down, is a Samoa. I can average about twelve in one sitting. Last night, because my baking buddy Leslie was visiting and because we are shameless sugar addicts, we decided to conquer an ice cream pie version of Samoas. Best decision I made all week, let me tell you.


Notice the caramel oozing from beneath the freshly toasted coconut to envelop chunks of fudge graham crackers and macaroons. My goodness.
 The directions advised us to freeze this puppy for 2-4 hours before digging in. Ha! We contained ourselves for as long as possible and then dished up spoonfuls of Samoa mush. It was divine, but when properly frozen overnight it is simply indescribable. Here is a proper slice in all its glory:


I snapped the photo, grabbed that fork and polished it off in 28 seconds. This. Is. A winner. Recipe below!

Today Nathan and I went to a local festival close to the library where I work. We ate snow cones and hamburgers and gaped at all the old cars. I was in Classic Car Heaven.

First snow cones of the season. Get excited!

F.I.G. (Friendswood Is Great!)

This one was love at first sight. 
Such magnificence!


Such beauty!
Dream roadster. 





I dream of owning a classic car one day. If I can hang on to my '97 Accord long enough, will that make it........nah.

Here is the Samoa Ice Cream Pie recipe, adapted from My Creative Stirrings. Leave a comment with your favorite dessert!

1 16.5-oz package Pillsbury Refrigerated Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough*
1 qt-size block vanilla ice cream, softened
2 1/2 c toasted coconut**
10 fudge-covered graham crackers, crumbled
14 macaroon cookies, crumbled
1 c caramel sundae syrup
1/2 c mini chocolate chips
Magic Shell ice cream topping (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan. Spread the cookie dough evenly in the bottom of the pan and bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown on top. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
Spread 1/3 of the coconut, 1/3 of the chocolate chips and 1/3 of the caramel on top of the cookie layer.
Divide the softened ice cream block into 1-inch sections with a large knife. Spread half of the ice cream evenly across the crust.
Layer half of the graham crackers, half of the macaroons, 1/3 of the chocolate chips, 1/3 of the coconut and 1/3 of the caramel on top of the ice cream.
Spread the remaining ice cream evenly over the cookie layer.
Top with the remaining grahams, macaroons, chocolate chips, coconut and caramel.
Freeze for 2-4 hours, or until firm. Let sit for several minutes before serving.

*I found the cookie crust a bit too rich with all the other goodies on top. Next time I'll try a simple graham cracker crust - combine 1 1/2 c crushed graham crackers (or any other cookie) with 6 T melted butter, press evenly into the bottom of the springform pan, and bake for 8-10 minutes at 350.

**To toast the coconut, spread evenly on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment